Volunteering with Safe and Sound is a brilliant way to transform the lives of children, young people and families in Derbyshire. As a volunteer, not only will you be supporting the charity in delivering our vision and mission but it is also a great opportunity to learn new skills, build friendships and positively contribute to the local community.
By offering Safe and Sound your time and talent you can help the charity in all sorts of ways such as;
- Outreach – join us on weekly outreach sessions and engage with young people in street locations across Derbyshire, signpost and build relationships.
- Youth Activities – help at our youth activities such as sport, art and music sessions. We particularly need extra help during our school holiday programmes.
- Chaperone – some of our young people have no way of getting to and from the activities we provide. By chaperoning a young person to an activity, you will enable them to take part and build their confidence and resilience for the future.
- Fundraising – help us organise events, run fundraising activities or take part in challenges to help us raise vital funds.
- Awareness – we are committed to raising awareness of child exploitation in schools, businesses and local community groups. You can be fully trained to help us run awareness sessions and prevent exploitation happening in the first place.
This year, Safe and Sound are celebrating 20 years of supporting children and young people affected by child exploitation. As part of this milestone year, we are planning events to raise awareness and funds to support the work we do.
This is an exciting year to help support our fundraising and marketing activity, and we will be able to provide opportunities for you to get involved, build on your skills and also enhance your CV and job prospects for the future.
Check out some of the exciting ways your skills can help our fundraising and marketing efforts:
This year we have lots of exciting events planned that you can get involved with, whether that is helping us with the organising of the event, helping to market the event or supporting activity on the day.
Check out some of the events we are planning this year:
- Earth, Wind and Fire – we are organising an adventure challenge for our supporters to take part and raise money for Safe and Sound. The event will consist of a walk around the city (earth), an abseil (wind) and a walk on hot coals (fire).
- 20th Birthday Celebration – this gala dinner event will be a celebration of the past 20 years at Safe and Sound. We will be fundraising and celebrating some of our fantastic young people, families and supporters.
- Charity Race Night – our annual charity race night, takes place in March and is a fun-filled evening of fundraising for our corporate supporters, friends and key individuals in the city.
- UpRight Derbyshire’s Santa Run – this year on the 17th December, the UpRight Derbyshire Bike community will be riding in convoy from Long Eaton to our offices with presents for the children we support. This is a truly special event in our calendar that is very close to our hearts.
If events aren’t your thing but you still want to support our marketing and fundraising activity, there are plenty of ways you can still help. Use or develop your skills by helping us with our monthly newsletter, social media content, funding letters, setting up a charity eBay account and donor relationships. There are lots of ways you can support the day-to-day fundraising efforts.
Awareness and Fundraising
This year Safe and Sound have been chosen as part of the Derbion Cares initiative. Throughout the year we will be raising awareness in the shopping centre, hosting stalls and taking part in fundraising activities such as present wrapping at Christmas.
We also go to community groups and businesses to talk about Safe and Sound. We can give you training to help deliver these sessions.
The support that volunteers provide for Safe and Sound is invaluable and we are very grateful for the time and skills given to us. We can work with you to ensure you develop your chosen skills, provide ongoing support with your lead worker and offer you other training opportunities in your area of interest as they become available.
If you would like more information about volunteering opportunities at Safe and Sound, contact [email protected]